ISLANDS OF INDIA
India has a total of 247 islands (distant islands) of which 204 lie in Bay of Bengal and remaining in the Arabian Sea
Arabian Sea Island
- These comprise 36 islands of Lakshadweep group of islands. Kavaratti is the capital of Lakshadweep.
- The southern most island Minicoy is separated from Maldives by 8 Degree Channel. These islands are of coral origin.
Bay of Bengal Islands
- The Andaman and Nicobar group of islands is separated by 10 Degree Channel.
- These islands have been formed by extension of tertiary mountain chain of Arakan Yoma.
- The Andaman group of islands is divided into 3 major groups viz., North Andaman, Middle Andman and South Andaman, collectively called Great Andmanas.
- Little Andaman is separated from Great Andman by Duncan passage.
- The Nicobar group of islands consist of 18 islands of which Great Nicobar is largest and southern most one.
- Saddle peak situated in Andaman islands is the highest peak of Andaman and Nicobar group.
- The Dhuliar peak is the highest peak of Nicobar group of islands.
- There are two volcanic islands. The Barren island and Narcondam island.
- They extend southernmost point of India that is Indira Point (Pygmalion point).
Off Shore Islands
There are many nearby islands such as Diu, Bhaisala along Kathiawar. Khadiabet and Aliabet along Narmada-Tapi mouth, Elephanta Salsette, etc. near Mumbai, Bhatkal (Mangalore Coast), Anj idiv (Goa Coast), Pambam, Crocodile in the gulf of Mannar, Sriharikota (mouth of Pulikat), Parikud, (mouth of Chilka), Wheeler (Mahanadi-Brahmani mouth) and Ncw Moore and Sagar in Ganga delta.