- Article 75 provides that the appointment of the Prime Minister shall be done by cite President.
- President appoints the leader of the majority party of the Lok Sabha as the Prime Minister.
- When no party has clear majority then the President by his personal discretion appoints the Prime Minister and asks him to seek vote of confidence within a month.
Power and Functions of the Prime Minister
- Prime Minister is the head of the government and the real centre of power.
- He is the leader of the majority in the Lok Sabha.
- The President formally appoints him. The Prime Minister is the real maker of the council of ministers.
- The President upon the advice of the Prime Minister appoints all members.
Prime Minister as the Captain of the Council of Ministers
- The council of ministers works under the leadership, direction, and control of the Prime Minister.
- No one can become or remain a minister without the consent of the Prime Minister.
- Any minister who disagrees with the Prime Minister has to resign and quit the ministry.
- The Prime Minister can ask any minister to resign.
- When the Prime Minister resigns, it is taken to be the resignation of the entire council of ministers.